.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Postage Stamps-Burkina Faso

I was just looking back into my previous posts and a page from stamps album from Upper Volta caught my eye for when I started collecting stamps, there were many countries that don’t exist now in their original names. Some have merged into other countries, some disintegrated and some assumed new names keeping in view the aspiration of their people. One such country was Upper Volta.
First stamps of Upper Volta - 1959-60 [Source]
Three stamps of Upper Volta from my stamps collection
Upper Volta continued to be under French influence till 1960. In 1958 the Republic of Upper Volta emerged and issued its first stamp in 1959 when it celebrated its first anniversary. However, the republic became an independent state on 5th August 1960. 

And then days changed !!


The country had history of turmoil and military coups. On August 4, 1984, some 24 years after its independence, the republic changed its name to Burkina Faso (meaning “the country of honourable people”).

Herein under are some stamps of the new country: The Burkina Faso:
The initial days stamps with Burkina Faso overprint and The Republique Haute Volte struck out
  
 The pioneers of freedom: Muhammad Ali Jinnah (Pakistan) - Martin Luther King (USA)
 
 
  
  
I will post stamps from similar countries that have undergone name change after independence in my coming posts.

Reference: A page from my stamp album – Upper Volta (Haute Volte)
If you like My Philatelic World, please join us at Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More