About

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

First Flight by Balloon, Lahore

I have been collecting stamps since long, but recently I came across a unique FDC that I was not at all aware of . The FDC shared on Face Book by Lahore - City of Gardens is a unique 2 Paisa valued stamp with stamp mark of  issued on the eve of National Horse and Cattle Show held in Lahore from 4-9 March 1964. 

FDC First Flight Balloon, Lahore / National Horse and Cattle Show, Lahore 4-9 March 1964 [FDC Courtesy:  Project Lahore]
The FDC on its left has a drawing of Badshahi Mosque of Lahore with a hot air balloon flying over the mosque domes. There are three stamps on the FDC:

1) On board of Freeballoon Oxygenium - Pilot: Nini Boseman
2) National Horse and Cattle Show - Lahore 4-9 Mar.1964
3) First Flight by Balloon, Lahore 8-3-64.


The FDC takes me back to 1964, when I attended this particular Horse and Cattle Show too and saw the Tattoo Show performed by the troops of Pakistan Army. A few days later on 23 March 1964, I was again at Lahore Fortress Stadium to witness the Pakistan Day Parade, which used to be a regular feature of those day and continued till as late as 2000s, where I for the first time in my life had seen F-104 Starfigher roaring over our heads as a special appearance for the Lahoreites and perhaps its first public appearance since their accquisition from the USA through Jordan. I shared my memories about the display in a separate post at Jaho Jalal awhile ago.

1 comments:

  1. Hi I have created a website dedicated to philately. I'm starting to create them and want to know the opinion of people. See what you think the page. If you are interested in link exchange email me at the following address:
    sellonoticiero@gmail.com
    DO NOT HESITATE TO VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEB and tell me what you think of the Web. If registering can download catalogs, OFFICIAL LEAVES AND TOTALLY FREE ALBUM SHEETS (only with registration):
    http://www.sellonoticiero.16mb.com/
    http://www.sellosmundiales.netne.net/

    ReplyDelete